This one was requested a few times. Â We’ve thrown together a simple AJAX widget for showing related articles on other sites. Â We’ll add a little more bling later on, especially once we get some more data sets out there.
The idea is this: Â You have a site that has information about music, or movies or airplanes or whatever, and you’d like to add links to related encyclopedia to your page with just a couple lines of customization.
To make that work as one would expect we also added fuzzy search. Â That’s important because, for instance, the article for “Madonna” in Wikipedia is titled, “Madonna (entertainer)”. Â So, now with our fuzzy searching you can search for the closest hit to a term with a specific tag, in this case “Madonna” tagged as “musician”.
The list of available tags is here.
The new AJAX widget is trivial to use. Â Here’s what it looks like. Â If you click it’ll take you to a page that you can use to copy-paste from.
You can get that on your page by adding two lines to you page / template:
<div class=”RelatedArticles” title=”Music Related to James Brown” fuzzy=”James Brown” fuzzytag=”musician” tags=”musician”></div>
All items that are returned use the “RelatedArticles” class, so that you can style them in your stylesheet as you see fit. Â These are the supported attributes (only titleÂ or fuzzyÂ are required):
- topic: Â A specific (exact) wikipedia article name.
- fuzzy: Â Find the nearest article name.
- fuzzytag: modifies the fuzzy search so that it looks for an item with that tag. Â Note: Â this does not affect the related articles, for that use the following attribute.
- tags: The tags for the returnedÂ articles. i.e. Using a fuzzytagÂ for James BrownÂ will specify that the main article should be a musician named James Brown, but specifying musicianÂ for tagsÂ will ensure that all of the returned results are also musicians.
- title: The title to be used for the list. Â This defaults toÂ Related Encyclopedia Articles.
- prefix: The prefix to be used for the links. Â This defaults toÂ http://pedia.directededge.com/article/Â Here you could also specifyÂ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ to link to the English wikipedia.
If you decide to link to Wikipedia or somewhere else using the last tag, we’d request that you at least give us a mention in your company / project’s blog somewhere.
Enjoy and feel free to drop us questions or comments!